Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Atlantic Slave Trade

What a good day today (or this morning)! Mr. Divine, my PE teacher, let us out early, because it was "sprinkling" and the gym was occupied by the rally peoples.... That is until Mr. Brown showed us a clip on how the Africans were forced to the Americas.

It all started when a guy was walking in a rainforest with the other men in his village. Suddenly, a net fell and as the captured man struggled, the men started beating him up and then he stopped his struggling. After that, they took him to a ship. THE DEADLY and NON-WONDERFUL ship. The traders treated all of the Africans like shit. I mean, they shoved the Africans and one of the people was shot for no apparant reason. The unfortunate villagers were arranged like cargo and some of them died of suffacation or disease. The traders barely gave them any food, too. Even if they did, they didn't give them any plates or bowls or spoons to use. Instead, they gave them nothing and poured the food onto their hands. In the ship, a woman died while giving birth to her child. After a while, the men were taken to a whipping and while they were being whipped, another woman commited suicide by jumping off the ship with her baby when nobody was looking, except a male slave that was witnessing the whipping. I have to hide behind one of my classmates to avoid the images, but the sounds won't go away.

The images and sounds are still in my head. I think the chiefs are selfish. They traded their own people for new weapons. That's just stupid and heartless. Well, even now, I am so traumatized and scared. Now, I'm wondering, "I'm so lucky to live in the 19th century." But then, I wonder about all the deaths and the heartbreaks that happened back then. I guess I will appreciate my life more, but I don't wish to watch that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment